Saturday, May 13, 2006

The Schizophrenic Fighter

My Beef This Week

I never really understood that I could really love someone and hate someone at the same time until I got married. I remember hating my mom and dad when I was a teenager and even younger, but I never really thought much about it then because it was fleeting. I was usually just pissed because they wouldn’t let me do something I wanted to do, and the anger left as soon as I found something else to do.

I’ve been pissed at my friends and family but not the same way I get pissed at my husband. He can make me so mad that I can’t even speak. No one else can do that, although many have hoped I’m sure. Most of it stems from the fact that I’m a logical methodical human being; he is creative and random and thinks like no one else I’ve ever met. When he is mad, he comes up with these bizarre interpretations of events and comments that would only make sense to me if I were on crack. At first I thought I lacked perspective, but after several people have witnessed our seemingly LSD-induced spats, they told me they were just as baffled as I was. It is like arguing with a schizophrenic, which is why it leaves me speechless.

At work I’m paid to debate. Someone says something, I rebut, it goes on and on in a very professional manner. Typically, no one gets offended. But with my husband, it is like this: Me, “What year did Mama Cass die?” Him, “You never liked my mother!” Me, “What are you talking about? I just asked about Mama Cass, I wasn’t talking about your mother.” Him, “Haven’t I spent enough time with you family? I put up with your fucked up uncle D and your parents were here last weekend.” Me, “WHAT are you talking about?!” Him, “I’m going to divorce you if you talk about my mother like that.” Me, “Whoa, back up. Please tell me what you are talking about.” He then goes into a 5 minute rant about some ‘yo momma’ joke I made in December and how I disrespected his mother. This is where I’m speechless…

I love this man dearly, but he frustrates the fuck out of me. Now I understand (usually) why these random fights happen. They happen when he is pissed at someone else or frustrated/stressed about something and can’t verbalize it. He never was allowed to verbalize frustration or anger when he was younger so now as an adult, he fights like a 5 year-old would. Sometimes the shit he pulls out of his ass makes me laugh, which just pisses him off more, so I try not to laugh now.

But I’m not sure how to deal with this. If I point out what he is doing, i.e, you’re mad at your mom so you’re picking a fight with me since you can’t fight with your mom, he gets mad because I psychoanalyze him. If I try to rationalize and order the argument, he makes something else up to argue about or pretends he didn’t hear me. I can’t argue his way since I’m not schizophrenic. If I refuse to participate while still in the same room, he’ll pull up stuff from before I was born to be mad about. So what I usually wind up doing is leaving the room or the house until he calms down, but I don’t feel like this is the solution either.

These arguments don’t happen very often, only when he is really stressed (maybe 5 or 6 times in the 5 years we’ve been together). But they are weird and unsettling because it is like he’s a different person, an IRRATIONAL person. And I hate that person, but I still love HIM. And so goes my marriage conundrum…

6 Comments:

Blogger Sophia said...

Hello, Dr. Know. I am Sophia. We have some mutual friends.

Interesting post. I come from a long line of creative, irrational types and so will try to explain what your husband might be thinking (in a rational way, of course!). And that is, he probably loves you so much that he is able to be himself with you (even if that means schizophrenic). The very fact that the two of you are different means that you are probably, perhaps without even knowing it, attracted to each other to learn something from the other.

But as I am only basing this on one post, I could be totally off. I think the short answer is: unfairly, we torture the ones we love because we can. Because we know they are there for us and still love us.

I hope this helps.

10:46 AM  
Blogger DrKNOW said...

Thanks Sophia. You are totally right that I'm attracted to everything in him that I am not. I learn something from him nearly every day. But still, do I just accept the torture or find some other way of dealing with it?

7:28 PM  
Blogger Sophia said...

That's a tough one.

I think relationships - and arguments - reveal more to us about ourselves than the other person. What things piss us off, and more importantly, why?

A good friend once said to me, "Marriage has made me realize what a pain in the ass I can be." I thought that was great! The things that piss me off today are pretty much the same things that pissed me off 10 years ago with someone else.

That's when I realize, "Maybe it's ME." Yes, some people are more difficult than others and have different social problems, but I still think I need to let certain things go, and not bother me so much. And I think that's a lifelong learning process.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Attila the Mom said...

It's so hard to know what to say. I've come back and read this three times.

I have this kind of relationship with my son, who, unfortunately, has some mental health issues.

Not that I'm implying your husband does---it's just hard not to nod my head when reading and "oooooh yeah, been there".

10:19 AM  
Blogger DrKNOW said...

Sophia: Your friend is totally right. Marriage has taught me what a pain in the ass I am, as well as my friendships. But the whole irrational arguments are hard for me since I'm by nature a logical debater and have been professionally taught to approach disagreements in a methodical way.

But I usually just wind up letting those things slide after the anger wears off. It's usually about him being frustrated with something else anyway and that goes away.

ATM: Thanks for the empathy. There's comfort in numbers. I think the only psychological issue I'm dealing with is low self-esteem. I'm fairly convinced he does these random association things to throw me off and to pick a fight he knows I won't fight so he can vent. But when the next big life change comes along I'm sure we'll wind up fighting about how I hate his brother Jimmy when I ask him something about Jimmy Carter.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

But the whole irrational arguments are hard for me since I'm by nature a logical debater and have been professionally taught to approach disagreements in a methodical way.

I am late to the discussion, but this statement, to me, is the key.

I too am a logician: cryptographer in the Army, public accountant in life, everything ordered and precise. I can neither understand nor fathom the illogical.

But therein lies my problem: humans do not come in either just black or just white. They come in gray and are therefore unpredictable.

I think that this, combined with what my friend Sophia said, is what is so troublesome for you.

I too have had arguments that are illogical and leave me speechless, so I have always walked away from them: I cannot compete, so why prolong the fight.


(Thank you for coming by my blog tonight—I lost your link when I was logically alphabetizing it, so now I can re-link. Charlie)

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home