Friday, March 24, 2006

Mr Un-nebulous: Sensitive Guy

My Beef This Week

I really can’t stand super-sensitive people. They can’t much stand me either; I’m like the insensitive bull in the emotional China shop.

Apparently, I somehow offended a man that I had a phone interview with. Now I’ve been replaying the interview over and over in my head and the only things that I can come up with as possible offenses are the following:

  1. I asked him a question about his company’s product and he answered it. Then 2 sentences later, he contradicted that answer. I pointed this out and asked the question again, giving him the two possible answers. This time he answered the opposite way he had before. Embarrassing, I guess, since he should have known his product.

  1. I used the word nebulous. He then proceeded to use the same word about 5 times. Then he used the word un-nebulous. I snickered since this is obviously not a REAL word. Embarrassing, I guess, since he not only sounded like a parrot, but also because he should be familiar with basic English.

So needless to say, I didn’t get asked in for a face-to-face interview. I thought about trying to patch things up and trying to talk my way into the interview because the job really interested me. But I can’t work for someone so sensitive, and this guy would have been my direct supervisor. Had I made these mistakes when I was interviewing someone, I would have laughed out loud at myself. This guy internalized, sulked, and then stamped my file “denied.”

Plus, it’s not my fault he’s an idiot. Snickering was not the politest thing to do, but that was reflexive. No matter how that played out, un-nebulous would have elicited some kind of giggle from me, so I can’t kick myself for that.

Now that I think about it, being a stupid super-sensitive guy must make life excruciatingly painful. People must constantly make fun of you, and you just go home and cry because you lack the ability to laugh at yourself.

Maybe I’m just being insensitive. But you know what? I lack the sensitivity (and the ability) to care.

The older I get, the more it becomes apparent that life is too short to dwell on that kind of bullshit. There’re only a handful of people whose opinions I care about enough for me to “dwell” on. I could give 2 shits what a stranger thinks about me. Mr. Un-nebulous apparently hasn’t learned that lesson yet, and probably never will.

So Mr. Un-nebulous, I hope you don’t cry yourself to sleep tonight because of me. Me? I’m going to rent myself a Steven Seagal flick and try to infuse myself with some sensitivity.

7 Comments:

Blogger DrKNOW said...

A cat might do him some good. But he'd be drawn to those few cats that are co-dependent and needy, not the normal ones that only let you pet them on their terms.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

drknow: I just responded to a comment you made on my friend Sven's blog and took a short flight over here.

Many, many people are put off by intelligence. It, of course, makes them feel stupid.

In addition, you have made a fatal error by being a female. Not only are you an intelligent female, you have also insulted his testosterone.

Like you, however, I could give a shit less.

Just a friendly hint about your template: I think your Internet banner at the bottom is too large, so therefore all of your important crap prints at the bottom. If you can possibly resize it, or use it as a footer, you will be the "same" as all the rest of us.

But I forgot. You don't give a shit.

"Pooper"

12:50 PM  
Blogger DrKNOW said...

LOL.

Thanks for the banner hint. I'll see what I can do when I get a chance.

3:11 PM  
Blogger OneEar said...

APS, Everywhere I go, there you are!?! Are I following me?

DK, I went to school with a guy who knows everything. I will ask him about your problem(s).

4:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It WORKED, Doc! Thanks for the link--I just stopped by to get yours.

"Pooper"

8:17 PM  
Blogger Sven said...

"I could give 2 shits what a stranger thinks about me."

I think the proper phrase is "I couldn't give 2 shits". It is derived from "I couldn't care less" which is often misstated as "I could care less."

Unless of course you could care less which doesn't necessarily capture your "fuck 'em all" spirit.

12:57 PM  
Blogger DrKNOW said...

"I couldn't give 2 shits" just doesn't have the same ring to it, ya think? It sounds like I'm constipated.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home