Friday, February 03, 2006

Me, W, and goat-boy

I am not exactly sure why I am doing this. Probably for the same reasons others do...cheap catharsis.

A Little About Me

I am an opinionated, fairly liberal, sarcastic, loquacious, witty, annoyingly specific and sometimes argumentative human being. In my struggle to be precise in what I say, I tend to vex others. You'll have to forgive me: 6 years of grad school made me that way and I can't (and won't) undo it.

I work with physicians, so you will probably read my complaints about them a lot. Some of the stuff may make you think twice about what your doctor tells you. The sheer magnitude of incompetence that I encounter never ceases to amaze me.

I have some fabulous friends. I feel fortunate to know them. The older I get, the more I realize that good people, and good chemistry with those people, are sparse. Most people seem to bug the hell out of me.

My family is a source of both comfort and consternation for me. Most of my family (including extended family) are Republican, blindly religious, racist, and closed-minded...but there are still a few jewels in there. I have hope for some of them. Others are a lost cause and you just accept them as such.

My husband is a source of random information and amusement. He busts out with these random tidbits of information that both entertain and baffle me. He is a right-brained person. Extremely creative doesn't begin to describe him. I am left brained. Projects we do together are either awesome or catastrophic. Left-brained projects he does alone are infallibly catastrophic.

My Beef This Week

Since the primary function of this is to vent, I plan on updating this weekly with whatever is getting on my nerves, I need to get off my chest, or to bitch if I’m just plain pissed off. Hopefully it will often be peppered with humorous anecdotes, but since the evolution of this thing is completely unknown, I honestly have no idea. But since my life seems to have hundreds of them, I’m hoping that will be displayed here.

So…for this week, given the State of the Union Address and the actual state of the union, I have to say my biggest beef is W. Now I’ve always thought this man was a boob, but every day he seems to confirm my initial impression like it is some kind of Stuart Smalley daily affirmation specifically for me. Every day I think, “This man cannot possibly appear any dumber.” And each day he pulls something out of the tricks bag just for me. Being from the state of Texas, W and I have had a long history. The boobiness goes WAY back for me. W left all sorts of children behind here in Texas as he went to the White House to leave even more children behind throughout the United States.


Now I understand that a 6th year president doesn’t have much to say, but come on! It’s like they laid off the speechwriters and cut and paste from old speeches. The one new tidbit I did catch was his latest wag-the-dog target of chimeras; or to use W terms, “animal-human hybrids.” He probably doesn’t know how to say the word chimera. His terminology paints pictures of a Pan-like monstrosity that scares Ma and Pa Citizen. This “abomination” as he calls it has been in use for DECADES without producing goat-boy and has invaluably advance science while saving millions of lives. It has extended our life spans. It has increased our quality of life.


Because he doesn't understand something and it SOUNDS like science fiction, it must be horrid. Because he can't wrap his teeny, tiny mind around it, it must be an abomination. Because he needs something else to distract the public (Ma and Pa Citizen), he pulls goat-boy out of his bag of boob tricks. I read in one of the newspapers yesterday (I will try to be more diligent in the future of documentation, but this blog just started on a wild hair today) that Congress is discussing such absurd things as talking monkeys and human embryos in animal wombs. If that is actually true then these discussions are not tangential of reality, they are proud residents of some loony bin slighty east of my ass. I can't even begin to wrap MY teeny, tiny mind around the absurdity of such discussions.

If there's one thing I do know, it's science. I spent the better part of my life with test tubes, Petri plates, and lots of little tubes holding stuff most people can't pronounce. I will try not to be too science-y on this blog since I often see my friends glaze over and start to drool when I get on a science soap box...but I digress. I just want you to understand that I get all of this stuff at a molecular level.

If we allow W to distract us like this, there is no telling where it will lead. Legislation passed by a reactive Washington could set us back immeasurably. Ignorance seems to breed fear and W loves the people to be afraid. That is his (or more properly Karl Rove's) control mechanism. "Nuculer" weapons. Anthrax. SARS. Chemical warfare. West Nile. Yellow alert. Avian Flu. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

It's enough to keep you bug-eyed and staring up at the ceiling at night. But at least you're not thinking about what a boob W is.

Me? I'm going to get me a Thai chicken and French kiss it until we make some Avian Flu. Then I'm going to find goat-boy and see if we can get a 1/4 goat, 3/4 human embryo going in my womb. I'll let you know how that turns out.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home